Starting a garden or a farm is tricky, and we here at Rail Fence Farm know that from experience. We offer consulting for farmers and gardeners that covers the following subjects:
- Detailed garden planning in a variety of methods to maximize sun, shade, yield, and space (square foot gardening, biointensive gardening, etc.)
- Variety consulting for space-saving, high-yielding varieties adapted for our microclimate
- Garden bed building & consulting- we will help you find the perfect garden bed solution, and if possible, construct the beds from eco-friendly, long-lasting materials
- Sustainable fertilizer consulting for farmers- learn how we use the sheep on our farm, compost, and cover cropping to maximize yields and nutrients in a sustainable manner
- Laura is available to consult regarding rotational grazing for grassland and parasite management, FAMACHA systems, electronet usage, sheep care and breeding, sheep showing and wool preparation. Laura is researching the use of waste wool for gardening and tree planting. In addition, she teaches needle felting lessons and workshops.
Previous consulting projects have included:
- Planning and bed construction of two garden plots for a nonprofit retirement home. One plot consisted of heirloom vegetables, and the other of gourmet culinary herbs.
- One-session planning and oversight consultation for a chef’s restaurant garden.
- Planning and planting a vegetable garden to maximize yield in a residential setting.